www.office.com/setup Blogs: In this module, you will learn how to use the Calendar Visualization Power BI Custom Visual. The Calendar Visualization is a very unique visual that allows you to show the distribution of values across a calendar.
MODULE 11 – CALENDAR VISUALIZATION
- Power BI Custom Visual – Calendar Visualization
- Dataset – Sales by Date.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 10 – Calendar Visualization.pbix
- Allows you to visualize a data point on each date on the calendar.
- The darker the color, the higher the value or density of values.
- If you have multiple rows on the same date, they are aggregated together
- The Calendar Visualization can be used for cross filtering. Meaning you can select a square in the calendar and it will filter other visuals down to the date you picked.
This shows a business which has a much higher number of sales occurring on weekdays. Saturday is a particularly weak sales day and no sales occur on Sunday.
- You should note when you use a date column into Power BI that by default it places it into a date hierarchy. For the purposes of the Calendar Visualization, this hierarchy is not helpful because you need all the values to be at a date level and not Year, Month, etc…
- To turn off the auto generated hierarchy for this visual, click the down arrow next to the Date field and turn off the Date Hierarchy option as shown below.
This only applies to this one visual so if you bring in Date again it will auto generate the hierarchy again.
- Or you can change the Power BI settings so it never auto generates date hierarchies for you again.
- To do this go to File > Options and settings > Options > Data Load and then uncheck Auto Date/Time.
- Under the Format paintbrush there are minimal options for customizing the appearance of the Calendar Visualization.
- The Cells color section gives you the ability to change the Cell fill property so that the calendar cell colors can vary from the standard Power BI shades..
- In addition to these properties, you have a set of settings that appears on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
FIND OUT MORE
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On Demand Training platform or view my previous blog posts.
Original Post: http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-calendar-visualization